After seeing Bob Simmons space-saving shaving horse ideas, Jason Gallagher send me photos of this modified Tim Manney horse that Jason made with his buddy Tommy. With a few wedged joints, it knocks down nicely into a small bundle of parts. In his words:
Its Tim’s shave horse with a couple mods. The front leg is secured by two pieces of angle wood glued to the main runners and reinforced with 1/4″ bolts. Once glued up as a unit, it creates an angled mortise or pocket for the leg; which, is basically just a long wedge. I added bolts because the pieces that make up that mortise are small and dont have a ton of gluing surface. It would probably be fine but I didn’t want the thing to collapse on me in the middle of demo-ing at a fair (not exactly confidence inspiring for people watching me make a chair…hehehe). The rear leg is held on by a double tusk tenon and I think I’ll make the rear leg a bit wider…..one day (more stability). The “head stock” and foot rest are held on with the usual tusk tenons as well. It’s made from scraps and 2×6 doug fir lumber. As for the for the seat, it needs some “adjusting”…one day.